I’ve been asking myself, how do I transfer all the apps, saved games and downloaded magazines, books and documents that are all saved on my iPad 2 or iPhone 4 to a new computer? I have a MacBook Air that is limited by it’s storage capacity since it’s only 64Gb SSD. I had to move my backups, my apps, music, photos, videos and tv shows to a new computer. Well, not really a new computer, but it has a lot more storage capacity than my MacBook Air. So what is the proper way? Since I’ve been searching for ways to go around the dreaded “Erase and Sync” dialogue, I have decided to do pull the trigger and see what happens. I went ahead and click on the button “Erase and Sync” or “Sync Apps” but only after I did these steps below:
1. Copy your Music Folder, not just the content, but the whole folder, and copy it to your new Computer where Music Folder also reside and just replace that folder. (Warning: This will replace whatever you have on the new computer Music Folder and replace it with Music folder from your Old Computer, so be sure nothing needs to be replaced, otherwise, you need to copy whatever you need on the Old Computer Music Folder individually to the new computer Music Folder). If you don’t want your Music Folder to be replaced on your new computer, I would suggest copy it somewhere else so that your old Music Folder on your new computer will be untouch. Then just go to your Preferences Settings in Menu and click on Advanced and change the destination of your iTunes Media folder location.
2. On your new computer, drag the Music Folder that you just copied to iTunes, drag it to Library and wait for it to copy all your Music, Videos, TV Shows, and Applications.
3. Double Check in the Apps Section of your Library to make sure all the Applications are all there.
4. Plug in your iPad 2 or iPhone 4, or any iDevices on your new computer and under Devices, right click on your iDevice and click on Transfer Purchases.
5. Go back to Devices again, right click on your iDevice and right click, select Back Up. Wait for the Back Up to finish. This may take awhile. It took almost 10 minutes on my iPad 2 64Gb.
6. Check the Box Sync Apps and a pop up dialog would appear. Click on Erase and Sync.
7. Click on Sync Apps (iTunes 10.2.2) or Erase and Sync (iTunes 10.2.1 or older).
8. Wait until it finish syncing the apps, then you need to restore your backup on the same computer that you did backup with.
9. Click on your iDevice by right clicking it, and select Restore from Backup and select your Backup. Wait until it’s done
Doing this will move your iDevice/s to your new computer. This so far works with the iPad 1 and iPad 2 with iOS 4.3.3 and iPhone 4 with 4.2.1 and 4.3.3. It also works on the iPod Touch 4 iOS 4.3.3. This method is essential if your old computers is dying and you want to move all your apps to the new computer before your old computer die. This preserves all your saved games, documents, magazines download, notes, contacts, however, for some reason, with the music, I have to re-add playlists to my iPhone 4. The music are all there, but not the playlists.