This tutorial is for advance users. This is a tutorial on how to upgrade BlackBerry 9900 OS, shrink the OS and update your BlackBerry 9900 with the shrink OS. BlackBerry 9900 default setting is for the prowess beauty of it’s high tech component, speed and more speed. But with a little touch of care and precise tuning and with some people who has battery hog problem can be solve without having to buy an extended battery.
The most optimal in terms of battery usage and memory usage tutorial details are as follows:
Download a few software tools that are needed below (download is for PC only)
After you download the needed software above, follow the steps below, and though I don’t provide the necessary link straight to the download, you can find them by Google’ing the necessary software. In this step, we will use the OS 184.108.40.2063, and if you have a newer OS that you want to go forward, just replace what’s given here with your own OS version.
1. Install Desktop manager for windows, and for those who don’t have the latest version I suggest you upgrade first.
2. Install Blackberry OS 220.127.116.113
3. Delete the vendor.xml (In the Directory C:\program files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Loader)
4. Install BBSAK Boss & BB v 2.2
5. Open BB Boss and there is a dropdown box, navigate to the os 18.104.22.1683, then click file – import settings – navigate to the file setting that you download from step 2 under the Download Necessity Steps above or you can view the screen shot below and just match the settings according to the screen shot, then select ‘Modify’ OS on disk “(bottom right window there is BB Boss) and it is important to remember to always delete the application krn Social Feed consuming battery power
6. Backup your data through desktop manager by plugging the usb cable and select the option to backup all data
7. If your BlackBerry has the password enabled, I suggest to disable your password first, then continue on provided that your BlackBerry is still connected to the PC, open and select wipe BBSAK.
8. After the wipe process is completed (in the Main Screen, it will turn white with the word error JVM)
9. Open AppLoader under C:\program files\common files\research in motion\loader (look for the icon with the words hp loader or app loader
10. Follow what’s prompted on the screen, simply select the next next until a loader window, check the 3rd party applications that you want to install then click next to continue the installation
11. When a pop up window state that it is Completed, you can unplug your BlackBerry and do a battery pull at least 3 to 4 times until the restart process becomes faster each time you do a battery pull.
12. The last process is to restore data on your BlackBerry through the Desktop Manager; don’t forget when the restore is completed, make sure your BlackBerry can receive a 3G signal and Wi-Fi connection
Note: It is important to allow the full restore of BBM contacts, Icons and Groups to completely restore and during the restore process, it is recommended that you do not use BlackBerry for any activity for at least 2 hours. After everything is completed, do a final battery pull to make sure and when it’s restarted, go to the network settings and set it to 2G only, set brighnest to 10 and set the GPS on the Off position.
That’s it, enjoy the new settings, which in result of 3 days without recharging, whereas before it usually takes 10 hours or less before the battery go dead.
Disclaimer: I’m not responsible for any mistakes you make during the process above, do it at your own risk. The process above are by no means for amateur, and a little computer know how is recommended. Be sure to download your BlackBerry OS Official from RIM, not Beta or Hybrid, because the steps above are for Official RIM OS.